Thursday, December 9, 2010

Confessions of a Sophiaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Published: Dail Press, 2001

Number of Pages: 336

Review: OK. DON’T PANIC. Don’t panic. It’s only a VISA bill. It’s a piece of paper; a few numbers. I mean, just how scary can a few numbers be?  I’ve been here before (in fact I’ve just found myself here again), I’m sure you’ve been here before, perhaps all of the western world has been in the shoes of Rebecca “Becky” Bloomwood, except maybe your shoes were not Jimmy Choo’s.  This novel was recommended to me by my friend aka “all I ever read is chick lit material” and after I gave in with The Devil Wears Prada (which was also her suggestion) I was hesitant to start this book which also looked quite shallow, but instead what I found was a great read and confidence in my friend’s suggestions once again.

The novel starts off with a series of collection notices, which introduces the main character; it’s a smart way to introduce a novel and it also introduces the main character. We know that she’s flawed and in major debt and has a serious shopping problem, without even meeting the main character.  Becky at the age of 25 has found herself in major debt with overdrafts, credit cards and store credits all building up to catastrophe. Ironically, Becky works full time as a financial journalist.  She lives in a swanky flat in London with her socialite best-friend, Suze, and she’s often late with the rent.  Her spending habits are outrageous; this is a girl who spends £1000 in shoes alone.  The main characters are all flawed in some way except for the perfect, dashing, (predictable) Luke Brandon, owner of Brandon Communications, whom Becky meets while trying to buy a scarf for £125 and embarrassing herself when she finds out that all of her credit cards are maxed and she has only £100 in cash thus borrowing money from Luke.  Throughout the novel we see her spiral into deeper debt and battle with her addiction to shopping.

This novel strikes a cord in my heart for I feel at times I am Becky Bloomwood myself. Spending dollars I don’t have on pens and pretty notepaper, books and hats and especially CLOTHES.  The main character is easy to relate to and you almost feel guilty for enjoying her debt and the fact that she’s not as perfect as she seems.  Her logic is lacking but her closet definitely isn’t; I often found myself envious of this fictional character and her ability to hold her head up high while she asks for more money on her overdraft while battling with Luke Brandon on TV, not to mention her massive closet. 

The novel is what it is and doesn’t shy away from that or try to discourage you from the fact that this is a novel about shopping.  You know what the plot line is about from the title alone. It’s realistic, witty and charming and just good fun.  The narration is okay, the tone light-hearted, the language: adequate, but Kinsella never wished to win a Booker Prize for this novel, it’s supposed to be a fun read and fun it was indeed.  So go ahead and pick up a copy of this book and don’t be afraid to “Charge it” after all that’s what Becky would do!

Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. I read this way back in the day - and got my bestie hooked on them (like, back in Highschool I think) - and she continued with the frantic Kinsella reading. I loved Shopaholic... and Shopaholic does Manhattan ... then my interest began to wane - just to forewarn you! I am however, a huge fan of "Twenties Girl".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all of them and yes they are redunant but they're good for a quick read on a hot summer day when you've nothing better to do.

    ReplyDelete