Saturday, July 23, 2011

Top Twenty Favorite Words (Not in the Dictionary)

I am in search of a new Dictionary. Now I know you all might be thinking, why even bother buying a dictionary when all the words and their definitions are pretty much available on practically a billion websites? Well, I find that a paperback dictionary is a lot more practical for me to use because I am not always beside a computer (or a phone for that matter) while I read and my old dictionary is always available at hand for my use while I'm in my room which is where I do most of my reading anyway, plus computer screens hurt my eyes a lot, and I tend to get distracted. I might tell myself I'm going to search up this new word I had no idea existed but 2 hours later I'll find myself on ebay bidding on a candy wrapper from 1922 and I still wouldn't have any idea what  schadenfreude means. (Schadenfreude: pleasure derived from another's misfortune.)

Well in my quest for a new dictionary I've been thinking about words that are not listed in the dictionary (yet) but that are often used incessantly like derp or cinephile and thus led me to a list of my 20 favourite non-dictionous words that I decided to share with you all.
  1. fugly: something that is f**king ugly
  2. ginormous: bigger than gigantic and bigger than enormous
  3. aight: a lethargic way of saying alright
  4. confuzzled: confused and puzzled at the same time
  5. woot: an exclamation of joy or excitement
  6. swagger: used to describe a person possessing a sense of style, sophistication and confidence about how they present themselves to the world
  7. chillax: chill out/relax, hang out with friends
  8. cognitive displaysia: the feeling you have before you even leave the house that you are going to forget something and not remember it until you're on the highway
  9. gription: the purchase gained by friction
  10. moobs: man boobs
  11. urkin: when various sports programs decide to play commercial breaks at the same time as the other networks thus leaving viewers unable to switch games during commercial
  12. phat: pretty hot and tempting
  13. phonecrastinate: to put off answering the phone until caller ID displays the incoming name and number
  14. bogo: buy one get one...
  15. slickery: having a surface that is wet and icy
  16. guido: a sad excuse of a man
  17. quisling: to convince yourself that you are a zombie (one of the walking dead)
  18. knackered: to be exhausted
  19. snirt: snow that is dirty, often seen by the side of roads and parking lots that have been plowed
  20. lingweenie: a person incapable of producing neologisms
How cool is this list people? Let us hope that a few of them will end up in the dictionary soon.

23 comments:

  1. Plumbawesome is my new favorite word:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my favourites too. I forgot about that one. Should have added it to my list. But it'll be in the dictionary soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snirt is my fave - befitting the moment immediately following the plow going by your house and stacking a mount of snirt that you have no possible way of getting your car through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fave non-dicitonary word is "Ridonculous" - it's so ridicilous that it surpasses ridiculous amd becomes ridonculous! Ha!

    Been a while since I checked out your blog! I have so much to get caught up on! Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAWD is my favorite word. Been used alot recently on facebook. Not sure why but it makes me laff when i see it.

    kevin.linkie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been known to use ridonculous from time to time however I've haven't really used Gawd much. I used to use Gah a lot as well as meh, but my liking towards them dwindled as soon as it found it's way into popular culture.

    I will be keeping a look out for Gawd now and perchance I'll chuckle at it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way Liana, Snirt will always be one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bromance is one of my faves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. levolution, the rise of left-wing ideologies or political parties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. whodickiepifal: to describe something you have forgotten the name of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Mac I have never ever heard of that word before! As for levolution, I have heard that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always liked whatyoumacallit: when you are stumped and dont know what the item or thing you are describing is called

    ReplyDelete
  13. chillax IS WHAT I LIKE TO DO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Dictionarys

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always thought that douchery was a good word lol... to describe the acts of a douche

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chilax is definitevely there and dunzo lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. My all time favorite non dictinoary work has to be - chillax meaning to chill out/relax, hang out with friends. I use it all the time especially when I am texting with my friends when they ask me what I am doing, as well it is a good word to blow off steam to someone that is making you upset! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. facebook - to facebook. Soon, it shall have its place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. refudiate.....or has it been added to the dictionary?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Automagically is a word I like using when dealing with some computer problems.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yumminee is a word invented by my toddler to mean all sweet foods such as chocolate, cakes and marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete